If you would like your law-related event included on this page, please e-mail email@example.com
- This event has passed.
GDPR in Action: Subject Access Requests
March 26 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm€100
Since the implementation of the GDPR, and the public’s increased awareness of rights to information, the number of Subject Access Requests being received by Law Firms and their clients is on the increase. Requests for data may come from clients, other law firms, employees and other third parties. Law Firms need to deal with these access requests efficiently and lawfully with minimum disruption to the work of the practice. Law Firms also need to be in a position to advise their clients on how best to handle access requests.
This is a practical session, which aims to give guidance to practitioners in order to assist them in dealing with Subject Access Requests under the GDPR. The speaker is a leading expert in this field and will share his knowledge and expertise with delegates.
The session will include details and practical guidance on:
• Legislative provisions under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 which are relevant to access requests;
• Formalities for dealing with a request;
• Time frames;
• Parameters of access request – “personal data” relating to the requester?
• When is an access request “manifestly unfounded or excessive”?
• How do access requests impact on the solicitor’s lien?
• Format of response letter;
• Form of access;
• Rights of appeal/complaint;
• Summary checklist and procedure;
• Data Protection Commission guidance
Paul Lavery, Partner, McCann FitzGerald Solicitors, Dublin
Paul is head of the Technology & Innovation Group in McCann FitzGerald and advises on a wide range of data protection, information technology, outsourcing, e-commerce, confidentiality and intellectual property issues. He writes and lectures widely on these and other topics. He is also a member of the Law Society Intellectual Property & Data Protection Law Committee