If you would like your law-related event included on this page, please e-mail email@example.com
- This event has passed.
Child-Friendly Justice for Victims of Sexual Abuse: Challenges and Opportunities
June 27 @ 4:00 pm
- Eve Farrelly, CASS and Helpline Manager, CARI Foundation
- Ellen O’Neill-Stephens JD, Founder, Courthouse Dogs Foundation
- Dr Celeste Walsen, Executive Director, Courthouse Dogs Foundation
- Professor Ursula Kilkelly, Head of College of Business and Law, UCC
- Dr Conor O’Mahony, Director of Child Law Clinic, UCC
Recent years have seen an increasing focus in both international and domestic law on child-friendly justice and on victims’ right. However, while various legislative provisions and codes of practice have established worthy principles, the practical challenges involved in mitigating the trauma of navigating the justice system for children who experience child sexual abuse remain acute.
This seminar will explore these challenges and the opportunity to bridge the gap between principle and practice by drawing on the experience of academic experts, frontline support workers (drawing on the experience of the CARI Foundation – www.cari.ie) and the ground-breaking work of the Courthouse Dogs Foundation, based in Seattle, Washington (https://courthousedogs.org/).